Saturday, December 1, 2007

To Chichicastenango and Panajachel

Thursdays and Sundays are market days in Chichicastenango, so being as how this day was Thursday, we went to Chichi this day. I guess my camera battery was dead again this day because I have no pictures of the market. I know, I know, you're glad. However, we had a great time at the market getting bombarded with people who wanted our money. It was so hard to tell some of them no. And then others wouldn't take no for an answer. Katie is so soft hearted she would have just given them all money. :) The Rickenbachs went with us, thank you so much, Bro. Lee and Sis. Shari. It was so fun to have someone else around who knew spanish and could help us out when we needed it.
After the market we headed down to Panajachel. It is more of a tourist town on the shores of Lake Atitlan. It was very beautiful and had a market type atmosphere out on the roads. But it wasn't so close together and the roads were easier to navigate than the small aisles at the market in Chichi. Our motel was beautiful, we got rooms with double french doors that opened on to a small yard area with beautiful view of the lake and the volcano. Remember the volcano I told you to remember? Here is the same volcano at a different angle.

This was looking out our double french doors.

Above our rooms was an outdoor eating place but everything had flowers growing around it. It was very lush and exotic.

Drew and the mayan mask

Here's where we ate breakfast the next morning. It was wonderful.

Lee and Shari Rickenbach, she is Ron Hunt's sister. (he goes to my church, Ron does, that is) We had such a wonderful time with them, getting to know them. We are very thankful we got to spend time with them.

1 comments:

sankey family said...

Dear Vonnie,
Your report and pictures of your trip are just awesome - I enjoyed walking through every bit of it "with you". You take great pictures and your descriptions and thoughts as you went along were wonderful.
I really have no idea why circumstances prevented Marc and me and the boys from making this trip with all of you - I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it. But one day - maybe Marc will get to return again and the boys and I will be able to see for the first time these wonderful places. Will you please go back when that time comes? And Beth and family and Mom and Dad, too???
We love and miss you!

Melodie