Saturday, December 1, 2007

Headed to Jutiapa, Monjas and Jalapa

Jutiapa is the town where I was born. It had the only hospital within miles of Monjas, where my parents were missionaries, at the time. This is the first sign that said Jutiapa that we saw and were able to get a picture of. This was a bridge in one of the small towns we went through that the conquistadors built way back in the.... 1500's? would it have been? Sugar cane A little town we went through, maybe it was Jutiapa, I don't know for sure. Me, Beth and Mom down the hallway that Mom went down to have us. Mom said it didn't look any different to her at all. Isn't that funny? She didn't think the hospital had changed a bit. I'm 42, if that helps how you think about it. :) Here we all are in front of the hospital where Beth and I were born. Our dear friend, Dona Lote. My mom stayed with her when she was ready to have us girls. She was so sad when we were there telling us that her husband Don Rafael had died 4 years ago. It was good to visit her and get reacquainted. This is the house we lived in in Monjas when we were first born. As you can see it is being torn down. The church is right next door on the left side of the house. The church, way smaller than I remembered it. :) Inside the church. We went inside the church then out through a side door to the courtyard you see in the next picture which is just as I remember it. Our house is on the right in this picture. It didn't go down the whole way. The rest of the building was Sunday School rooms or an outdoor kitchen or something like that. Inside the house, Dad is stepping from the bathroom into the living room area. The cows coming down the road were an interesting sight... probably something I had seen many times before but not on a paved road. :) And it was lunch time so we ate some pupusas by the side of the road with some cabbage and HOT sauce. WOW!! They know how to cook down there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vonnie, I was anxiously awaiting your pictures. I enjoyed them! I am so glad you all got to do that. Hope our paths cross at Christmas....Aunt Linda

sankey family said...

Vonnie, I have been waiting for your pics and your take/update on the trip. I loved reading all this! I don't know if you're going to post more, but I'll be watching.
Love you!
Melodie

Beth Stetler said...

Great pics and posts!