Saturday, December 1, 2007

The market and the 40th anniversary service

Here is a truck loaded with bananas. The traffic here wasn't a whole lot better than Guatemala City but we did notice that the streets were much wider and somewhat cleaner.

So, here we were in the market, it was an indoor market, sweltering hot, humid, lots of people and everyone wanting to get the gringos to buy from them. Then Mom finds a lady who was nice to her and let her sit under a fan. Well, we all had to get under the fan to get a little breeze. I happened to look up and here is what I saw.And just in case someone doesn't realize the significance of this... Sankey is my maiden name. And it is such an unusual last name you rarely, if ever, see it anywhere. So we loved it!! Now, I must have been too busy buying stuff and didn't take any more pictures of the market.

Now the whole reason we started planning this trip 3 years ago was because 40 years ago my Mom and Dad went to San Pedro Sula, Honduras to start the work there for Evangelistic Faith Missions. They wanted to have a special service honoring the 40th anniversary of the start of the work. The next pictures are of the service and the people who my Dad has had a direct influence on. I'm afraid I cried most of the service, especially realizing that there were 700 people there that evening and each one had been touched by my dad directly or indirectly. It was humbling and honoring and made me so thankful to have a Dad and Mom who were willing to answer God's call to SPS, Honduras. Thank you, Mom and Dad, you are a great example for Jesus!! Don Reynaldo
now the tears start... The church was packed. It could hold 350 people and outside there were just as many people. They set up speakers outside so those who couldn't fit in the church could still hear the service. This picture is a little blurry. There were several people who came and shook hands with mom and dad after the service. It was very neat to see so many people who knew us when we were little. Most of them I didn't know but I do remember hearing stories about them or I remember playing with their children. The "street scene" outside the church. Not a real clear picture but you can get an idea of the amount of people that were outside during the service. This was after the service and, no doubt, many people had already left by the time I got out there to take this picture.
Thank you to Daniel and Tiffany Melton and all the national people who put together a very touching and special anniversary service. It really meant alot to our family!

0 comments: