Friday, February 1, 2008

Ouch

We had a great calamity Sunday morning while we were getting ready to go to church. Taylor was up on a chair in Drew's room and decided to jump off. However, his middle finger got caught somewhere on the chair (I still haven't figured out how it happened) and his fingernail was ripped right out of the nail bed. It was awful. His fingernail was still attached at the end of his finger though, so we left it there for the time being. He was one sad boy!! And we were sad Mommy and Daddy. So we had it all clean and bandaged but it got pulled more on Wednesday, just as we were pulling out of the garage to go to church. (the devil was really fighting) It bled and bled and Andrew and I both agreed we had to take the nail off or he was just going to keep catching on things and eventually would pull it off but with more pain than if we purposely did it. So Andew got the nail off and we got the bleeding stopped but it has been such a sad thing for him and for us to deal with. Has anyone ever had this happen to them before? Will the nail grow back like normal or if the nail bed is damaged will it not grow back, or maybe grow back abnormally? I know Andrew has lost a nail or two before but I think it has been from a hammer blow not like this.

8 comments:

Mamabear said...

I fell off the piano bench when I was about 4 and ripped my pinkie nail off. I remember being in the little straight jacket at the ER while they were working on my finger! :-) (They should have left me in there..)
My nail grew back, but I dont know if that is always the case.
Poor little guy! Bet he wont jump off any more chairs, NOT!!! lol :-)

Lori said...

Awww, poor kid, that must have really hurt! I've never seen anything like that before so I don't know if it will grow back or not, here's hoping that it will back to normal soon!

Myranda said...

Ohhh!!! Ouch ouch ouch!! That sounds awful. I did lose my whole fingernail one time when my finger was closed in a metal door by my big sister...8-) It grew back fine and I would think his would too. Give him lots of
baby-ing...That hurt like CRAZY!!! 8-)

sankey family said...

Oh that is just awful and made me cringe just thinking about it. Poor baby.
And regarding my sister's comment, let me just say I have no clue what she's talking about and have no memory of such incident and just remember, she has 2 other older sisters besides me... :)

Beth Stetler said...

OUCH!!! UGH! Pobrecito!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Oh, that is awful!! Made my stomach upset just thinking about it!! I hope he is feeling better!

Julie

Kim M. said...

Bless his little heart!
Justin put his big toe in front of a door I was closing once and it ripped the top of his toe-nail off. It took awhile but it grew back and it's fine.

LaDonna said...

I got my toenail ripped off by a fishing hook, while running through the house when I was a kid. It grew back, but it looks different than the others. I hope his comes back ok, poor guy!