Saturday, February 9, 2008

Yukon Quest


Well, it's that time of year.... time for the dog races and today was the start of the toughest of them all.... the Yukon Quest. It is a 1000 mile race from Fairbanks to Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. Each year it starts in the town where it didn't start the year before. (how confusing is that?? I can't figure out how else to say it.) This year was Fairbanks' turn. So Andrew took the boys down to the Chena River to watch the mushers take off. It was about -25 F.... very COLD!!! Bbbbrrrrrr! He got some great pictures, I was so proud of him. Could it be that MJ has started a new career for himself?? (#23) I doubt it... he is, no doubt, basking in the Carribean as we speak!!! Notice the ice fog? It has been terrible.... very hard to see in the early mornings before it gets light. Here three of them are in their warm muskrat and beaver hats Daddy bought them in Ft. Yukon. Nice and toasty!!!! Here is Taylor.... the only time he is ever an angel. :)
These guys that do this are tough old birds. They have to have all the supplies they will need until the next check point. They have to be prepared for anything and everything... and in weather like this, it can turn very dangerous!! My hat is off to them!!!

8 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

How cool is that?! I love all the pics that Andrew got of the dog races! (And I can see why you would stay home and let him get the pics....BBBRRR!! =D) I'll show this post to my kids and Phillip when they get home from church; they will really enjoy it, I know.

Thanks for you sweet comment on my post.
Love, Heather

Ronda said...

Very cool...We only get to see that kind of stuff in the movies! I shivered just looking at the pictures! ha! Hope that you are doing great!(How is the new job going?)

Mamabear said...

I like it better when it ends up here,, but it is a long wait in between teams! I have a pic of mom watching a team come in on the bridge a couple years ago,, it was about 20 below! She's tough! lol

jenny said...

What was I thinking whining about subzero temps here in WI. We had a lot warmer weather than you all when we lived in Palmer but the thing I do remember is you do adjust to the cold--anything above zero feels "warm."

We loved watching the start of the Iditarod in Eagle River and still root for Dee-Dee every year. We've never followed the Yukon Quest...that sounds like HARD core.

Really interesting, thanks so much for sharing. We miss AK so much and it's always such a treat to see a peak into your lives up there.

Lori said...

Wow! What an adventure,I don't think I'm cut out for that sort of thing! That would be really interesting to watch, I'm sure the boys enjoyed it!

LaDonna said...

So, what's the prize for all that hardship? Are there any women that compete in this sport? And how many days does it usually take them to make that 1,000 mile trip? Just some questions my boys have for ya! :) Great job sending the camera with Andrew while you stayed warm. I'm surprised that camera even works in those temps!!

sankey family said...

I loved reading this post and seeing the pics. Would love to see it in person some day!

Kim M. said...

That is so cool! I mean... coooold!!! neat! Justin really enjoyed those pictures and the ones of the buffalo kill too!