Friday, February 1, 2008

What I am doing....

I thought I would get on here and let you know what I have been up to lately. I'm so excited about it. I think I told everyone about me volunteering at our Pregnancy Center. But this has led to an actual position with the Pregnancy Center(PC) as the Nurse Manager. That is NOT what I am most excited about though. This week I have been in training to be a nurse sonographer (in limited obstetrical ultrasound - my SIL, Melodie, will know what all that means since she is so very medically trained herself), but for all of you others ;), it just means that I am learning to do a limited scope of ultrasounds on pregnant ladies. Limited scope just means I am not learning how to tell the sex of the baby or how to find a cleft lip, etc. I am learning how to take a couple of measurements, find the heartbeat, find the gestational sac and the yolk sac and maybe a couple of other things that aren't coming to mind at this point. I am having a ball, I just love it. Do you remember how fun it was to see your own ultrasounds when you were expecting? Well, just think of how it would be to get to do that all day long. Of course, these are appointments that are set up specifically to train the nurses and it won't be all day long every day after I get trained (although I guess it could be, on a busy day). Anyway, the hardest part is learning how that baby is laying in the uterus and how I can get the best picture. If you think of it pray for me to have an easier time learning this. I have to think so hard and just when I think I have it, my mind gets blocked again. I am just thrilled with this opportunity and I feel like I'm doing OK, maybe even well, considering I have only had 4 days of experience so far, but I know I have alot to learn. So if you wonder why I'm not posting as often as I used to... that is why. If yo haven't noticed much of a difference in my posting then don't worry about it. :)

4 comments:

Ronda said...

I am really excited for you...This sounds like a fun job! I have worked in OB for so many years and we occasionally pull the US machine in to check and see if a baby is breech or not. That is about all I can tell! Congrats on the nurse manager position...hope that you really enjoy it! (Whip them into shape...ha!)

Beth Stetler said...

What a great, cool, awesome job! And once again, I am left behind in the medical technology, and will have to resort to playing with the kids, while you and Mom and Melodie talk like docs!

Anonymous said...

I am excited for you. You will do great. It is always good to have something new to learn and do. So sorry about Taylors fingernail.

Kathy said...

Sounds like an awesome job! Maybe I should look for a job like that.