Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Recipe for RR Cereal Bread

I thought that since the cereal wasn't able to be found in the good ole US, maybe no one would want the recipe... but maybe I was wrong. :) So I will post the recipe but first explain that the cereal is cooked and looks much like oatmeal or cream of wheat, in texture not color.

1/2 C. molasses
1/2 C. brown sugar
6 C. hot water
2 C. Red River Cereal
2 Tbs. salt

Mix in 2 qt pan, boil x 1 min. then cool to temp 110 degrees. (I think this makes about 6 C. of cooked cereal for those of you who might like to try this with oatmeal.)

2 Tbs. yeast
1 C. lukewarm water
2 tsp sugar

Mix, let yeast dissolve.

Mix the above two mixtures. Add:
1/2 C melted butter or margarine
3 eggs
9 C (more or less) flour

Knead and place in greased bowl to raise for 1 hour. Knead again. Put in 4 greased loaf pans. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 - 50 minutes.

Yum!! This is the best bread for toast!!

6 comments:

Michele said...

Just wondering if you could substitue oatmeal for the RR Cereal?
Michele

Vonnie said...

Michele,
I have never tried with oatmeal but I would assume it can be done. I don't have a clue what it would taste like, but it doesn't sound bad to me.

Mamabear said...

There are quite a few listings for Red River cereal on ebay,, also, here is a link to order it from:

http://www.canadianfavourites.com/Red_River_Cereal_p/redriver001.htm

Mamabear said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michele said...

Thanks Vonnie. I may just try it and see. :o)

sankey family said...

Since we're doing this, I found it at the Hard to Find Grocer website at this link:

http://www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/htfg.asp

I think I'm going to order some and try to make this bread! Thanks, Von.