Saturday, January 19, 2008

Paris..... Ohio, that is


My husband's family used to live in Paris, OH. If I remember correctly, Andrew would have been in second grade when he lived here. This was the building he lived in. It was an old stagecoach inn from the 1800's. My Grandma Ferguson actually lived here too about the same time that Andrew and his family lived here.

My Father in Law taught at the school that was located here, either in this building or maybe one of the other buildings that I will be posting pictures of. Sorry, Andrew isn't here for me to ask him questions. I may have to delete this whole post and start over if I'm all wrong. :) Anyway, I think these buildings look so quaint.
Now that I look at this other picture I believe it isn't part of the school where they taught but just a building close by that Andrew remembered. What intrigued him the most are the steps here on the front and side of this building. He remembers them (35 yrs ago) being worn down and here 35 yrs later they are still there. The step on the left of the picture isn't as noticable as the one that is right next to it, facing the road. It must have made an impression on him when he was 7 because he was looking to see if it was still there.

This is the back and side of the first building. I think this is the entrance to where the Bryan's lived.

6 comments:

Janet Sankey said...

We sort of had a little family joke that "grandma did her Christmas shopping in Paris that year". All I remember is that we were home on furlough from the mission field and visited grandma and Aunt Gwen and I sort of felt like they were on a mission field as they about froze to death that winter. I think I remember that they had little,if any, heat in that big ole building. Everybody sacrificed a lot to keep that school open. That first picture is the main (and only) intersection in Paris if I remember correctly. Such memories!

Anonymous said...

Interesting! I remember being there when Cheryl was around 7 months old. I agree with your mother.....it was equivalent to a mission field. Christian education was and is a mission field! I think we could all write a book. :)

sankey family said...

Those are great pictures. I love historical buildings - they have so much character!

Char said...

Great story, interesting architecture , but come on Vonnie - did they or didn't they???? Let's get it right!!! HAHA.
Always enjoy your blog - love the picture of your kids in the Cove. You done good! (incorrect grammar on purpose)

Kim M. said...

I love old buildings and the stories that go with them. Thanks so much for posting that!

Unknown said...

I don't know if you are still connected to this account, but I would love to speak to you as I also grew up in that house!