Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hunt 2007


Well, Andrew, Drew, Max and Tom went hunting. Tom and Max left Saturday morning from Ft. Yukon, in the boat. Andrew and Drew flew in the Cub on Monday, found Max and Tom and flew them further into the hunting territory. I don't know what day Tom got a moose, but he and Andrew packed out meat until it was too late to do any more and then went in the next day about 8:30 in the morning. As they were approaching the site where the moose was they heard a rustling. Andrew told Tom to get his rifle ready and they kept looking to see what was coming at them. Then they saw it, a grizzly that had claimed Tom's moose for his own. He was coming to get whatever was getting too close to his meat. Andrew had left his rifle with Drew, it was then that he became aware that his .454 Casull had better do the trick. He fired three times. Immediately after the first shot the bear started turning around and around. The first two shots probably got him, Andrew thinks the third shot was a little high.


This is the monster. It squared 7'6" or 7'8", which is really big for an interior grizzly. We took it by Fish and Game this morning and had the head measured - it was 24 5/16" which would put it in the Boone and Crockett record book if Andrew wanted to go to the trouble to do it. He doesn't think he will but it is nice to know that it would get in.

Drew got a picture taken by it, although he wasn't there when it was shot. He thought it was pretty neat that his dad got such a big bear.

Here is the paw/claws of the bear. The .454 shell is about 2 inches long. Fish and Game said it was about a 15 yr old bear.


Here is a picture of Andrew and Drew in the plane. Andrew got in about 18 hours of flying while on this hunt. I'm really glad he's getting in time.... the more experience he gets, the less nervous I'll be when he takes me up. :)

I am planning to post new pictures down at the bottom of the page. If they aren't there when you check it, keep checking back because I have every intention of trying to get it all updated soon.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh, Rodney would be in heaven. He loves to hunt and his dream is to hunt bear!

Janet Sankey said...

sorry to say but the bear story gives me the creeps....sure good that Andrew was armed and a good aim....oh well, just one more thing for a grandma, mother-in-law to worry about, huh? Love, Mom

Kim M. said...

Michael will love this. I will show him when he gets home later. That bear is huge!

The Dickinsons said...

Vonnie, I know my brother and I know he is a GOOD SHOT, but I, like your Mother, was a little nervous reading that story too! AND PROUD AS A PEACOCK OF ANDREW WHEN I GOT DONE READING IT! =D WoW! That is one HUGE bear!!!! Way to go Andrew, I trained you WELL!! HA!

Also, love the neat pics you posted at the bottom of the page!

Thanks for your sweet comment about our baby #4. I really don't think I'm carrying twins, just that Noah stretched my tummy to "Mexico", so this baby is trying to keep up with his/her big brother! =)

Love, Heather =)

Anonymous said...

Well, this is a great story and great pictures. The only thing that would have been better is if I could have been right there with them! I do feel sorry for Tom tho....cuz I am sure his moose still isn't as big as mine! haha I did think about replying with my squirrel hunting story, but for some reason it just wouldn't be the same.