Friday, February 6, 2009

Mexico - Part 4

The interesting food that can be bought in Mexico -

Here are a few pictures of some of the interesting "fare"we saw while in Mexico. This is cane sugar, which you can buy from a nice grocery store. We don't see that too often here in the US - though maybe some of you might.
Cactus in it's diced and un-diced forms.
OK, not too bad.... whole fish and fish parts.... I've probably seen that in the US.
But really now, do I have to have a pig head watching everything I do at the grocery store?? This was at a very nice Americanized grocery store. Now for the market... (yes, I took pictures like a gringo tourist)
UGH! Here it comes...
Ewwwww, pigs heads and, I think, goat's heads and who knows what the other stuff is...
I believe these would be intestines...
perhaps, livers and kidneys.
These were all open to air and had a few buzzing friends landing on them as we walked by, no doubt laying eggs and the like. Pretty interesting. :)

9 comments:

Eckmama said...

If by "interesting" you mean "nastiest thing I've ever seen, I think I'm going to throw up" then I totally agree. : )

Lori said...

Lol, the market pics bring back a lot of memories! I'm surprised you didn't mention the smell, although since you weren't there in the dead of summer, maybe it wasen't too bad. The cactus, did you end up trying it while you were down there? I was surprised to find that it tasted a lot like grn. beans, in my opinion at least!

sankey family said...

vonnie, dear - you are scaring off any and all visitors who might have interest in coming and seeing us. :)

Beth Stetler said...

Great stuff! :-)

Ronda said...

Wow! Now that was interesting! Makes me want to go right out and buy some meat....heads and all! :)

Anonymous said...

Takes us back to our days in Russia. We had the COLD weather in our favor though much of the year! Fun shopping for the right "cut" of meat when all they chop it up with a huge axe! :) Love you all and so wonderful to have you with us for a few hours here in Cinci! Love, Laura

Leah said...

Hey Vonnie - Oh Wow!! What memories from our trip to Mexico a couple of years back!! I thought I would croak going through the market!! I LOVED my trip to Mexico but was not thrilled with that trip to the market!! Enjoying your pictures!!!!

LaDonna said...

Now how do you expect them to make MENUDO without all those parts of meat, my dear?! :) And for the record, there are certain southern states that use pig's heads to make the ever famous "Head Cheese" that my mother and her extended family loved eating! Yuck!!! Not for me!

Kim M. said...

More than being nauseated, I am laughing my head off!!!! That is hilarious and oh so gross!
Maybe I am desensitized b/c of living with all these boys or something.