Friday, September 5, 2008

It pays to live in Alaska... at least once a year. :)

I'm struggling to find something to blog about. I'm sure you could tell that by the fact that I've had Sarah Palin's picture up for a week now. Well, I've been immersed in her campaign, the RNC and all the trash talk for the last week and I'm trying to get myself picked up from all of that and blogging about something different.

Most of you know that every resident Alaskan gets a dividend each year. The unique thing about Alaska is that the constitution says that all of the resources the land produces belong to the residents of Alaska. So when oil was discovered they set up a "savings account" with a payout of the "interest" to the people. (this is not the exact definition, but it is the easy way to explain it)

Today we found out what our dividend is going to be.... $2069....each. Oh my word, that's the most ever. And in addition to that we get a $1200 a piece as an "energy boost" that our awesome Governor, soon to be Vice President, proposed and got approved earlier this summer. Isn't that awesome?

Well, if I have to live in this freezing cold, dark place.... I might as well get paid for it. :)

10 comments:

Eckmama said...

So, are there any houses for sale near you? My stuff is already packed, we'll just move it there instead of up the road. LOLOL WOW that is SO EXCITING!!! I have to ask though--each person in your family? Or each "taxpaying" adult? I had no idea y'all had such a sweet setup. ;) Very happy for you!

sankey family said...

Wow! That's awesome.

Michele said...

I'm with Eckmama, let's all move to Alaska! Go Sarah!!!!

Kim M. said...

wow, that's really nice! And I'm excited about McCain's VP pick... I was pretty discouraged before, but maybe she can make a big difference.

Beth Stetler said...

I'm ALMOST tempted to move to Alaska, almost... :-)

LaDonna said...

Ok, so does that mean you all are coming out this year??? That's a lot of money...do you have to turn around and pay taxes on it? I know our friends in Barrow said that we ought to move up there for 3 years and we could be set! I just don't think I could deal with the darkness. I'm happy for you, though! Go Palin!!!

Michelle said...

Rodney would love to live in Alaska...maybe it's not such a bad place afterall! :o)

Tell Vern we said hello when you see him!

Lori said...

Yeah, um, the moving truck is in the driveway, any chance you can help us unpack when we get there? :) Sounds like Alaska has some great perks!

Vonnie said...

That is every Alaska resident, not every tax paying Alaska resident. Each of our children gets a dividend too. Beth, we need missionaries up here too. :) LaDonna, we are going to Mexico for Christmas this year to visit my family, then we are coming to Tennessee for about 3 days, Virginia for about 3 days, Orlando for about a week, Lord willing. So hopefully we will be able to see you when we are in Tennessee!! Yes, we do have to pay taxes on our dividends... I don't know about this energy boost, I'm thinking we won't have to pay taxes on it, although I really don't know. I think Barrow would be unbearable for me. Michelle, I almost couldn't remember who in the world "Vern" is, but then I remember "Randy S.", right? I don't know if I will see him at all... I hope Andrew can convince him to come this way but I haven't heard if he is or not. Lori, we'd LOVE to help you unpack!! ;) Come on!!!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Oh, yes.. .the lovely dividend.... I heard enough about it while we were up there. LOL Seems like that is the biggest reason given for us to move up there though!!! Not that I would love to get that size of a check once a year. Man.... I can't even imagine quite frankly.