Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Weekend getaway

Well I went to see my dear husband this past weekend. He is winding down the job in St. Mary's and isn't going to get to come home until the work is done.... that is somewhere in the first week of October. It was unacceptable to both of us, so I made arrangements for a sitter (thanks Katie R.) to stay with the kids for the weekend and I took off Thursday night and spent the night in the Anchorage airport.... UGH!!! Don't try this folks. I didn't get in to Anchorage until 11:30 p.m. Thursday... I had to catch the 6:30 a.m. flight Friday to St. Mary's which means being at the airport at 5:30, which means waking up at 4:30... so, why pay for a hotel for 4 and 1/2 hours sleep? It's not worth it, or so I thought.... I froze to death, besides being uncomfortable laying on benches with about 10 other people sleeping all around me.
But I am so glad I went. Andrew and I had a great time! Here are some pictures of what we did over the last few days.
Some of the work they have done in the school - "cubbies" for everyone.
One of the classrooms
I think both of these building have been refurbished by 66 North. (Andrew's and Gale's company)
This is Tanya, Gale's wife. She is the one who planned the menus and ordered/orders the food.. and she prepares the food, with a little help from.....

Alicia

Samantha

and Ginny (Alicia and Ginny are both pregnant.. that's why I took this picture like this)

Here are all four of the cooks, Lauren left a few weeks before this, there were five of them. Here is Sam's little boy, Logan, he is so cute.... ...but if he doesn't want you to look at him, he screams, just like this... (hahahaha)

Then we went flying in Andrew's Super Cub Straight ahead is the runway we used, it looks like a road, we were crossing the "big" runway.Looking back at the airport where we just took off Ain't that purty? We dropped and came in low over the dock so Darryl Q. could get a video on his camera Here I was trying to get a picture of Darryl, but the picture took too late. Still, I wanted you to see just how low we were to the water. (cringe) Beautiful fall colors along the Andreafsky River Thoroughly enjoyed the flying... can't wait to do it again! Love you, babe!!

8 comments:

Kim M. said...

Great pictures! That little boy is funny; I wonder why he does that?

The Dickinsons said...

VERY CUTE POST...LOVE THE PICS! SOOOO GLAD THAT YOU GOT TO BE WITH ANDREW. I HAVE NO CLUE HOW Y'ALL HAVE STOOD THESE LAST FEW MONTHS. SOOOO GLAD THAT THE SEPARATION IS SOON COMING TO AN END FOR Y'ALL.

THANKS FOR THE COMMENT ON MY BLOG. LOVE Y'ALL.

Ronda said...

So glad that you were able to have a weekend "get-a-way" with your hubby! Wow! It made me nervous just looking at those pictures from the airplane(You are very brave, girlfriend! :))Thanks for your nice comments on my blog!

sankey family said...

Sounds like you had fun on your weekend getaway - don't know how you stand it so long without your man.
Flying pictures look awesome - just beautiful!
The pictures of the work Andrew's doing look great, too.
Can't wait to see all of you in Mexico for Christmas!!
Lord willing, my house will be your house! That is, if I have a house..lol..
love you all!

Paula said...

Finally got a minute to get over here. I LOVE your pictures. And the family picture at the top is awesome.
Someday, Cara and I are coming to Alaska to visit you. Be ready. :) Ok, maybe I better tell her that.
I would love to see some of those sights up there!

Beth Stetler said...

So glad you could go visit Andrew. The screaming boy picture is hilarious!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Vonnie, So glad that you got to go be with your "flyboy". Daddy asked if I had seen your blog about your trip so thought I had better stop a minute and comply. So glad to see pictures of the work those guys have been doing. First class, I would say. You must have taught Andrew to do those things for I sure could not!;-) I awaken most mornings with you kids on my mind and pray, starting with Andrew and his "gang". Glad that the days of the job are winding down. I love you all, Moma

Mamabear said...

You are so COOL!!! :-D