Saturday, October 6, 2007

Sweet 16

We decided to combine a big 16th birthday party for Heidi, with a youth group function and here are some pictures of the fun event. We think we counted 56 people here at one point. Of course we invited Max and Sherry and Tom and Chrystal and family. Then we also had U. Dwane and A. Gwen and Ken and Judy Thomas and their family. The rest were young people. And I am so impressed with these kids. They all had a great time and were very respectful of our property, etc.
Wouldn't you know it snowed last night and most of the day today, so we had to alter our thinking and deal with the cold.
Here's the cook, he grilled 80 hamburgers and 40 hot dogs and was a humongous help getting things done around here.
Thad Newton, Jeremy Ridenour, Ben Glenn, Jacob Ison (behind Ben), Ted Gillson eating supper.
Thank the Lord for Andrew's shop.... it is big enough to accommodate a large group of people. I had thought that we could all eat outside but with the snow and cold it was better to eat in the shop.
We had a soccer ball pinata for Heidi. It was kind of funny because I thought the kids would all think it was too childish for them. But they got into it pretty good. Several people tried to hit it with the bat, then Renee Langworthy knocked the hook thingy off of the pinata.

So, after Renee knocked the hook off, we had Ron Hunt pitch it to Thad .......

Then all the candy fell out.....

And nobody thought it was childish at all to jump onto the pile of kids on the floor trying to get all the candy.... soooooo funny!!

Standing around eating candy.


Ooooops ..... we fixed waaaaaaay too many hamburgers and hotdogs. We had almost as many "baskets" left over as Jesus had after his miracle feeding of the five thousand. :)

I wish I had a picture of the devotional time we had around the fire. Thad talked about God's goodness, His mercy and His truth, then there were several testimonies and we sang lots of songs and choruses. These kids all really seem to have a desire to serve the Lord. Many asked for prayer in areas of their lives that they need help with. They are honest and open. It was a very precious time and I'm glad I got to be a part of it. I hope we have many more times like it.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO HEIDI and to you too Vonnie. Sorry I missed sending greatings on the right day. Your party sounds like Christa's sweet sixteen party. We rented a gym and invited everybody. Such pleasant memories to make for Heidi. Love you all!!!

Marty said...

Sounds like you had a great time! I can't believe she is that old. I remember on her 5th b/d when she told Andrew that she wished she was 15 or something to that sort! What a beautiful young lady she is!

sankey family said...

Sounds like a wonderful time - for Heidi and everyone else, too! What a mom you are - you get the award!
Love and miss you - can't WAIT to see you in a little over a month!

Melodie

Leah said...

Oh where oh where has the time gone?? What happened to "Little Heidi"?? I feel so old!!! Glad you had a great time!!!

The Dickinsons said...

Happy Birthday to Heidi, again, and that is such a NEAT gathering you had! I cannot believe it already snowed. So glad that Andrew could help you get ready for it all, and glad that you have Andrew's shop to us for gatherings. The devotional time sounds great, and sweet! =)

Thanks for sharing these neat pics!

Love, Heather =)

CrazieChrisa said...

Ohhh my goodness...I feel old! Tell Heidi I said happy birthday! My 16th was my favorite...I think!! Like mom said I had that HUGE party and it was a blast!!!! Thanx for sharing the pictures!!!

The Dickinsons said...

Vonnie, Thanks for letting me post about Andrew's hunting story! I'm enjoying the comments that I'm receiving from my friends. =) I LOVE that story, and that is SUCH A HUGE BEAR!!! And thanks for your comment on my post too!

I was too sick and tired last night to make a link to your blog in my post, but I have done it now, so if you get extra visitors, I may be to "blame"! =D I wanted them to be able to visit your blog.

Thanks, you are the best (and Lyn too! =)

Love ya, Heather =)

Anonymous said...

Is it OK for the husband to comment? I just have to say that I absolutley have the coolest and best wife ,PERIOD!!! She's a great mom and has to work extra hard with me being out of town on this job in Ft. Yukon, Ak. In 7 day's we will celebrate 20 yrs. of marrital bliss and it has only gotten better with time!! I truly thank the Lord and my dear inlaw's for allowing me the privilege of spending my life with her!! Beside's the fact that she rarely complains about anything,thinks it is cool that I fly a supercub,put's up with my work that requires long hrs. and being out of town sometimes,She gave me six of the most awesome kids any Dad could ever ask for,and she still laughs at my jokes!(sometimes)I love you Babe,I'll see you Friday night!!

Queen Essie said...

Happy Birthday to Heidi! Is she really 16....already?!?!? It is so hard to believe, but what a cute girl she is growing up to be! What a fun lookin party, too. And, oh, my, snow already - I was just complaining on my blog about where is our Fall weather because it has been unseasonably warm. Now, I'm thankful it's not snow! LOL

Also, "enjoyed" the bear story - I will be sure to tell mom to show dad your page when he gets in this weekend.

Take care & Lots of Love, Esther

Anonymous said...

That looks like fun! It seems so strange that Tyler and Heidi celebrated are 16 already!!! SCARY thought! LOL! Thanks for sharing the pix!
-Sharonna