Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Mexico - Part 2

THE FOOD
Melodie served us lunch as soon as we got there. I believe it was steak or beef fajitas. It was wonderful. We had chicken and beef fajitas at Beth's house one of the first days we were there. Both Beth and Melodie had limes and cheese and guacamole, etc. Beth also made the famous "elotes" that I had heard so much about. I personally wasn't crazy about the dish, though I didn't think it was bad. It is corn and mayonnaise and chili powder and lime juice, for those of you who haven't read Beth's or Melodie's posts.This is what we had for Sunday lunch. The pastor's wife and sister-in-law fixed it for us. It was delicious. The stuff that looks like beef stew, was not stew but something like it that had green salsa in it, then there was rice in the middle and "carne asada" (I think) on the other side. Yum!! My kids loved this food. It was so fun watching the boys eat!!This is called "discado", if I remember correctly. It is about four different types of meat cooked over an open fire.The discado was served with guacamole, tortillas, beans and cheese, chips, and salsa. Taylor could not get enough of it! It was fabulous. Jose and Anna Correa were our hosts for this wonderful meal.

This is what it looked like up close.

The Correa's

Then we had a good ol' American Christmas dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes, green beans, deviled eggs, rolls, mac and cheese, gravy, etc. It was wonderful!!

And then there was the clean up..... :)


Here was another meal that the pastor's wife, Sylvia, made for us.. three different kinds of tacos. Let me tell you, that lady can cook!! We later received some tamales from her. I didn't get a picture of those, but if you check Melodie's blog she has a picture on one of her posts.

Now somehow I didn't get a picture of the meal we had at San Rafael. The pastor's wife there fixed us an awesome meal that was just out of this world. I wished so badly that I could just eat and eat, it was that good.

Another place at which I forgot to get a picture was the "Taco's al Pastor" place down by the market. I wish I could go there right now and eat some more of those. Melodie and Beth have both had pictures of that place on their blogs, I think.

Well, there was a little stroll down the "food aisle" in Mexico. Hope you enjoyed it and it didn't make you too hungry. :)

3 comments:

Tamra said...

All of this is making me hungry!!

sankey family said...

You'll get to enjoy it soon, my friend!

Anonymous said...

Of COURSE you made us hungry... what were you thinkin?! Love you lots and thanks anyway for the photos even if I did have to swallow a LOT! :) Love, Laura