Friday, November 14, 2008

Halibut Chowder and Honey Oat pan rolls


I made some halibut chowder the other day... it was yummy... just what you need to warm you up on a cold day. I also made my favorite dinner rolls... they have oats in them. I use left over grilled halibut, if I have grilled salmon I put that in also. The grill gives the fish a great smoky taste and that helps flavor the chowder.
OK, I'm not sure this will be funny when written down, it might get "lost in translation", but another funny that Taylor said the other day..... he and Tyler and fussing at each other about something and came running to Andrew to fix the problem. Taylor is talking the loudest so that Tyler can't tell his side of the story, he's saying, "Tyler did yada yada yada.." and Andrew stops him in his tracks, "tell me this without using his name", trying to keep him from blaming Tyler. So Taylor says, "He yada yada yada", which made us all die laughing, cuz he didn't say Tyler's name but he was still needing to blame him for whatever it was. Oh, so funny!!

6 comments:

Melanie C. said...

The food looks divine - funny story as well! :-)

sankey family said...

I would try your halibut chowder, but your father and brother would struggle, wouldn't they? ....love ya!

Kim M. said...

I tried some kind of "fish chowder" once and Michael vowed to never eat anything remotely close ever again. It was really gross; I don't remember what I put in it!!! I have always been a big experimenter though but it has finally paid off and I can actually cook halfway decently these days. The key word being "decently" as opposed to.. "not"

That was literally YEARS ago, but we still laugh about it.

Yours sounds really good though... I love smoked anything!
The story about the twins is hilarious! I can so relate!


I had to laugh at Melodie's comment. I am trying to imagine how the Sankey mean can/could handle missionary life when they are so picky! Yes, I have teased your dad about his picky-ness before!

Ronda said...

Sounds DE~licious! I love soup and homemade bread at this time of the year! Those rolls look heavenly!

The Dickinsons said...

When I read your blog post title out loud...my Phillip said, "That sounds GOOD...is that Vonnie's blog?" =D Your chowder and rolls do sound delicious.
Loved the Taylor quote too.

jenny said...

This is actually cruel...I was just looking through my recipe book and came across my halibut recipe from Lawana Gates and a halibut creole chowder from Lynette Courtney and my mouth just watered. Halibut is hard to come by these days...but oh I do remember it well!!!

I would love your recipe...